Published on Sunday, 18 March 2012
Random Thoughts 8: Navamansh & Vargottam Navamansh Primer
Navamansh & Vargottam Navamansh Primer
1. Navamansh as the name clearly suggest means 1/9th part of a sign. Every sign has 9 Navamansh which are actually called as CHARAN also. Every Nakshatra has 4 CHARAN.
2. Each Navamansh or Charan is of 3 degrees and 20 minutes (i.e. 3’20” or 3.3333 degrees)
3. Each Navamansh is assigned to 1 Sign. i.e. Mesh rashi has navamansh of Mesh, Vrushabh up-to Dhanu (9th) and so on. i.e. these 9 parts are assigned 1 sign each.
4. The FIRE Signs MESH, SINGH, DHANU always start with MESH Navamansh and end at DHANU navamansh.
5. The EARTH signs VRISHABH, KANYA, MAKAR always start with MAKAR navamansh and end with Kanya
6. The AIR signs MITHUN, TULA, KUMBH always start with TULA navamansh and end with Mithun.
7. The WATER signs KIRK, VRISHCHIK, MEEN always start with KIRK navamansh and end with Meen.
8. The Same Rashi/Sign and Same Navamansh assigned to it is called as VARGOTTAM Navamansh. i.e. MESH RASHI MESH Navamansh is Vargottam Navamansh.
9. Vargottam Navamansh:
a. The CHAR Signs always start with their OWN navamansh (i.e. Mesh starts with Mesh, Kirk with Kirk, Tula with Tula and Makar with Makar!) – i.e. Vargottam navamansh is at the start of the sign itself
b. The FIXED / STHIR Signs (Vrishabh, Singh, Vrishchik, Kumbh)) always have MIDDLE part as their own navamansh. i.e. Vargottam navamansh is in the middle
c. The MUTABLE /DUAL /CHANGING signs (Mithun, Kanya, Dhanu, Meen) END with their own navamansh. i.e. Vargottam navamansh of these signs is at the end of the sign!
10. This means 2 consecutive CHARAN of the same nakshatra which is divided between DUAL and CHAR signs are Vargottam Navamansh! These lucky Nakshatra are Punarvasu, Chitra and Uttara-shadha
11. The Vargottam navamansh are VERY STRONG as they embody the essence of the sign completely and much more than other 8 navamansh in that sign.
12. Planets in these navamansh even though neech – they become quite strong to give good practical results but neech would be too neech so could affect health & some karakatva of the planet but still success in practical sense of the word is always ensured!
13. In short these Vargottam navamansh are quite empowered and enabled to give significant fruits/results and they show some very specific past karma for sure.
FAQs – Answers:
14. A planet VERY strong in main horoscope but in neech or shatru rashi in the navamansh horoscope (or simple neech/shatru navamansh) – the strength reduces somewhat – of course it does NOT become bad! ;) i.e. some discount on that goodness of the planet but not too much!
15. A planet VERY BADLY placed in main horoscope but uchcha or swagruha in navamansh – the intensity of the bad effect is reduced somewhat but it does not become great!!
16. A planet uchcha in main horoscope & Vargottam in navamansh or in swagruha in navamansh would become exceptional.
17. There is NO connection with ATI-UCHCHA degree of planets in various signs and navamansh vichar. Mangal is ati-uchcha in 27th degree of MAKAR which is Kanya navamansh (Owned by Budh and not friendly sign for Mangal) but in such case Ati-uchcha should be taken as per priority and not as shatru-navamansh,
18. Slow moving planets like SHANI and GURU, RAHU stay neech or uchcha for a long time and hence Navamansh, Nakshatra or even Saptamansh and Dashamansh are checked for them closely. Example: Shani stays in one sign for aprx 2.5 years and millions will have Shani in the same sign but thousands would have Shani in specific navamansh and even fewer would have it in specific Dashansh or even Dwadashansh!! So good to check it out.
19. All said and done NAVAMANSH horoscope and Navamansh of planets are VERY VERY important BUT they cannot override the effects & attitudes and results of the MAIN horoscope which displays your destiny. Navamansh is Sukshma-Wichar and can only alter the result of the main horoscope but some % only (Like “interest rate” but years of interest can form a big amount!J).
Analysis of a Navamansh Horoscope
1. In south India, without Navamansh for reference, astrologers would not even look at a chart! It is VERY closely followed in South! In Maharashtra M. D. Bhat has published “Navamansh Rahasya” and how important it is! It is termed as main horoscope’s “Sukhshma Vishar/Swaroop”.
2. Navamansh is treated as “Kalatra-wichar” i.e. the detailed thinking on the 7th house of the main horoscope (marriage/partnerships etc). The ancient Sanskrit-grahth(s) insist navamansh for ALL sorts of analysis and not just the 7th house detailed thinking. M.D. Bhat says that without navamansh one can’t say anything for sure.
3. How to check navamansh:
a. For a very extreme Yoga in main horoscope (both good and bad) one must look at the Navamansh horoscope. For example, main horoscope shows very bad past karma with kids due to extreme grahayog on 5th house, 5th house owner and Guru – The Navamansh will show how bad it is. If 5th lord is placed badly in navamansh and 5th house is badly aspected and Guru is again not the best in Navamansh, the degree of the intensity will increase quite a bit. Similarly, if one suspects short life in a horoscope it *has* to be confirmed in Navamansh apart from Chandra Kundali and also Numerology to support it.
b. Let us say that the owner of the 6th house is in 6th house in main horoscope – this shows providing “service” and earning money thru the same. The sign in 6th house and the planets and their nakshatras will certainly show the sector for the service but the navamansh will further drill down the specific sector. When multiple planets in the 6th house and if same navamansh then almost the certainty! The owner of the 6th house and its sign / nakshatra and navamansh has distinct/major say in the outcome of the analysis. When there are multiple messages created by sign, nakashtra, navamansh then the karakatva of the planets in the 6th house and the owner should take the precedence.
c. Remember, when Navamansh adds to the complexity of the main horoscope then the past karma is not very specific in the area of analysis and hence extreme great or bad results will not be seen by the person (jatak) and hence more “Kathya-koot” (deliberations) are not required or would not result in any concrete outcome! J
d. For a Mahadasha / an antardasha or a significant bhukti, one should check the main horoscope planets’ ownerships and also graha-maitri with lagnesh and rashi-swami and of course rashi-bal, speed bal etc. However, the same should be checked in the navamansh horoscope to decide the scope & nature of the results shown by the maha/antardasha or bhukti.
e. Even gochar Shani bhraman when happens on various planets of the horoscope, the same analysis should be done on main and navamansh horoscope.
f. The Chandra-Kundali in main horoscope is very important but in navamansh horoscope also Chandra-kundali will make it too many things to analyze and hence too much to expect this but still the “state” of Moon in Navamansh horoscope is very important!
I think I have answered almost all the FAQs I get on the Navamansh chart I have received so far which I answered multiple times on my Facebook wall.